Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Life Insurance

This is one topic that most scoff at or avoid. It can be a touchy subject, but it is a very important subject that needs to be discussed.

We never know when it is our time to go. What would happen to your family right now if you were to pass away? Would your family be able to live in the current house they are in; would they have enough to live on for over a year to get their feet on the ground. Will the bills be paid in full?

If you answered no to any of these then you need life insurance.

I have $120,000 of life insurance on my self so if I were to pass away my wife and child would be able to live for a year without any financial worries. I have no worries for them. When I leave the house I know that if something were to happen that they would be fine.

How do you calculate how much insurance you need?

The simplest way to get a quick idea is to take your: short-term needs + long-term needs - resources (such as social security, 401k, IRAs, cash, etc) = life insurance you need.

I strongly suggest that you all take 15 minutes and calculate how much insurance you need and then act now and get insured. There is a great feeling of peace by knowing that your family would be taken care of if you were to pass away.